Sometimes our clients come in with a list of questions like "Do you shoot in digital?" or "What type of equipment do you use?" We realize that these questions might come from a wedding planning web site that has good intentions, but these questions really miss the mark, in our opinion. The more meaningful questions that determine if a videographer is right for a client in the long run are tougher to answer by many videographers.
I've shared my thoughts on this with other professional wedding videographers around the country whom I respect. We agree that the pitfalls that some clients fall into can be avoided if the right questions are asked.
Today, some of them have taken this idea and started to run with it. We hope that all of us can make a dent and help educate clients so that they don't fall prey to the well-meaning hobbyist who is more interested in having fun and making a quick buck than they are delivering you a high quality video that you will enjoy for years to come.
The 10 REAL Questions You Should Ask Your Videographer
1. How will my movie sound?
2. How do you handle lighting?
3. How do you vary your shots?
4. How do you plan to tell the story of my day?
5. How long will it take to get my finished movie?
6. Are you 'preferred' by the other companies I've hired?
7. May I see other clients' movies and read what they had to say about you?
8. How do you get your shots without being 'in the way'?
9. Why are your services more expensive/less expensive than other companies?
10. What do you do to make sure our movie is unique to our personalities?